What is a Skilled Migration Internship Program?
The skilled Migration Internship Program – Accounting, Engineering and IT – are the DIAC (Department of Immigration and Citizenship) approved professional year program, which is available to all international students who want to build a great professional career and take a concrete step towards their application of permanent residency in Australia.
The program bestows upon an industry specific career development structure that combines formal learning and workplace experience. It is solely aimed to address the skill shortages in some selected industries of Australia.
And hence, the program aims to prepare the overseas students, who want to permanently settle in Australia, with essential employment skills. Currently, this professional year programs are available in the fields of accounting, engineering and IT, as these three Australian industries are seeing the highest scarcity of workforce.
The professional year program provides the international students with:
- CV Preparation and Interview Skills
- Knowledge of Australian Business Culture, Workplace Skills and Environment.
- Professional Business Communication Courses
- IELTS Preparation Classes
- Internship at Workplace
- Potential employment in Australia
- Permanent residency in Australia
- And much more…
The Top benefits of participating in the program:
- You will get familiarize with the norms and culture of Australian workplaces or employment market.
- You will learn how to communicate effectively and professionally with managers, clients and peers at workplace
- An assured Internship in an Australian company, so you can educate yourself about all aspects of work practices and get trained on it within an Australian workplace.
- You will become eligible to get five extra points in the ‘point test’ of the DIAC while applying for a skilled independent (subclass 189) visa, provided the course is accredited by five key professional societies in the priority disciplines of accounting, computer science and engineering.
“66 per cent of Swinburne’s professional year participants were employed in their field within six months of graduation”, says Mr. Andrew Smith, Swinburne College chief executive officer.
Overseas students who opt for a professional year program after completing their bachelor or master degree are more likely to find employment in their selected field.
“When coupled with the technical skills learned in their studies, the PY produces work-ready graduates who have the skills and knowledge to make an immediate impact in the workplace”, added Mr. Smith
“According to the official federal government statistics 2010, 37 percent of all graduating international students work in their chosen field of study.”
But, who is eligible for a Professional Year (PY) Program?
You can apply to a PY program if you:
- Have completed a legitimate accounting or IT course from an Australian university that offers minimum credit points similar to 2 years of study
- Have or applied for a 485 Skilled Graduate visa or other visa that allows for Professional Year study
- Have an IELTS score of minimum 6.0; the higher is better
- Have a Migration Skills Assessment from a professional IT or accounting body.
The PY program is available to many different visa types holders, including Skilled-Recognized Graduate (Temporary) visa (subclass 476) and Skilled-Graduate (Temporary) visa (subclass 485; even residents and citizens, are also able to apply for this program. Eligibility for the PY program is based on the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) requirements for the 485 Skilled Graduate visa. Visit DIAC website for further information.
Three important things you must know before applying:
- The professional year program is not CRICOS. It is full fee-paying, and hence HECS and fee-waiver do not apply.
- The PY program must have been attended for a consecutive 12 months’ period in the 48 months immediately before applying.
You can apply in either the nominated skilled occupation or a closely related skilled
According to the Australian Computer Society (ACS), there are now more than 1000 graduates of professional year programs and many have gained their employment through their internship placement; while more than 70% could find employment in their chosen field in 6 months of graduation from the PY.
“ACS President Anthony Wong says the program is working well to develop work-ready graduates to help target ICT skills gaps, predicted to reach an estimated 25,000 jobs by 2020. Demand for ICT professionals is expected to escalate further with the implementation of the National Broadband Network.”
“CPA Australia’s higher education executive, Ms. Caroline Armstrong, also strongly backed the four-year-old initiative, and said there was anecdotal evidence it was working.”
Planning to enroll in a Skilled Migration Internship Program? Below enlisted are Australian ministry specified PY courses:
QIBA and Navitas are two most prominent providers of these PY courses in Australia, and they are the only two providers of this program in South Australia. QIBA Accounting Professional year program costs only $8450. While Navitas offers PY courses for all 3 streams – Accounting,Engineering and IT, it program fee too is only $12,950 for all 12 months.
So, what’s holding you back now? Enroll yourself in a skilled migration internship program today!
Register Your Interest Today.
BIES Skilled Migrants Australia