Changes to Student Visas from 1 July 2016

Temporary Graduate Visa

On July 1 2016, the Australian government will make a number of changes to its student visa processes. These changes include the introduction of a “simplified visa framework” or SSVF.

Under the SSVF:

  • all international students will now apply for a single Student visa (subclass 500), regardless of their chosen course of study
  • they require all international students to apply for their student visa online
  • a new immigration risk framework will guide the evidence of English language. Financial capacity that a student needs to provide with their visa application.

Why are there changes?

The SSVF will support the sustainable growth of Australia’s international education sector. By making the process of applying for a student visa simpler to navigate for genuine students, thus, delivering a more targeted approach to immigration integrity.

Key requirements for the Student visa (subclass 500) 

1.Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement

The GTE requirement applies to all student visa applicants and considers whether the individual circumstances of the student indicate that their intention is for a temporary stay in Australia. Thus, a genuine assessment is made by taking into account a number of personal factors relating to the student. Such as their immigration history, circumstances that might encourage the student to return to their home country. In addition, conditions that might encourage them to remain in Australia.  

2. Enrollment in a registered course of study

International students must generally enroll in a registered course of study. Must provide a Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE) when they lodge their student visa application.

PLEASE NOTE: Exceptions to this requirement apply to Foreign Affairs and Defence sponsored students. (Letter of Support from Foreign Affairs and Defence). Hence, secondary exchange students (an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Students form). Additionally, postgraduate research students required to remain in Australia for marking of their thesis

3. Financial capacity and English language proficiency

It requires all international students to have sufficient funds to cover their course fees and living costs in Australia. While student visa holders are able to work a specified number of hours in Australia, they should not rely on working to cover their course fees and living costs.Thus, a part of the visa application process, we might require students to provide evidence of their financial capacity and English language proficiency. Particularly, the immigration risk guides outcomes with the student’s country of citizenship and intended education provider.

Where our online client service tool indicates, it requires documentary evidence of financial and English language capacity. It is important for applicants to attach these documents to their visa application prior to lodgement. Failure to do so might result in visa refusal.

4. Health and character

International students should have good character. Will generally need to undertake a health examination as part of their student visa application. Students must also obtain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) before a they get student visa.

How to lodge a student visa application

In general, all applications for a Student visa (subclass 500) should generally lodge online. However, you can also contact a member of the team at Boomerang International. If you need assistance to ensure you lodge the application correctly to avoid visa refusal.

Head Office:
Trustee Building, Level 5, 22 Grenfell Street, Adelaide South Australia 5000
Phone: 08-7073 0548,​ +61423989004, +61434532062 (WhatsApp/Viber)
Email: adelaide@boomerangedu.com

Nepal Office:
Putalisadak (Opposite Kumari Bank) Kathmandu, Nepal
Phone: +97714430487, +97714430187 +9779851018109
Email: info@boomerangedu.com

Impact of the SSVF on existing student visa holders

The SSVF only applies to student visa applications lodged from 1 July 2016. It will not affect the visas of existing student visa holders.

Consequently, family members of existing student visa holders (subclasses 570-576) will need to apply for a subclass 500 visa. If they do not currently hold a student visa and want to join their family member in Australia.

Finally, if you have any further questions regarding these changes to student visas, or wish to obtain further assistance in lodging your visa please do not hesitate to contact the team at Boomerang International as soon as you can.

(Original source: Australian Government – Department of Immigration and Border Protection)