Health Insurance for International Students

overseas student health cover

Being an international student in Australia, you must have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) which provides medical and hospital insurance for the entire duration of your study.

Overseas Student Health Cover is especially for students undertaking formal studies in Australia. The insurance covers visits to the doctor, hospital expenses, ambulance & other medical treatments.

OSHC insurers can provide a wide range of different OSHC products ranging from a basic product covering limited compulsory services to comprehensive products also covering extra services as specified under the particular policy.

overseas student health cover

You need not to get an OSHC, if you are:

  • a Norwegian student, as adequate insurance is provided by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
  • a Swedish student as the the National Board of Student Aid or by Kammarkollegiet will provide insurance to them.
  • a Belgian student as the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia covers them.

As OSHC is available for a period of up to five years. Therefore, your course exceeds five years of duration. Thus, OSHC providers may issue cover for a longer period.

A single OSHC policy needs to be converted to family policy in case. You have a child born after your arrival in Australia.  Also, in case family members join you after your arrival in Australia. Hence, they need to show their OSHC policy of their visas.

P.S.: Boomerang International Educational Services (BIES) offer health covers for Overseas Students, 485 & 457 Visa Holders. Contact us for any health insurance related queries.

Source: immi.gov.au