Making friends can be hard but not impossible.
So instead of stressing out about how to make friends, try to enjoy what Australia has in store for you. Some basic points to keep in mind when trying to make friends.
- Be open minded (Don’t judge and try to accommodate different attitudes and ways of thinking. Keep in mind, there would be huge culture shock from how it may have been in your country)
- Socialise (try to join clubs or activities which interests you so you can find friends with similar interests or join activities which are new to you and explore different things, you may be surprised what you may end up loving. You’ll never know until you try out.)
- Don’t turn down an invite unless you REALLY don’t want to go. (try to participate and talk to as many people as you can. This way you’re networking as well as understanding the Australian culture better and making use of your time in Australia)
- Always Smile, because it’s a more powerful tactic for making connections than you might believe. For one thing, smiling takes us out of our own head and makes us think more about the image we’re projecting. Plus, people who smile (as opposed to folks with neutral faces) are perceived as more attractive, kinder, and happier, and therefore more approachable.
- Have FUN. (MOST IMPORTANT thing to keep in mind. Be confident and don’t be scared to talk to people)
Pursue hobbies and activities you enjoy, you have a good chance of meeting people with similar interests. So check out that local events in Australia. Each event is a chance to make a whole new room full of like-minded buddies.