The PY Accounting Program is formally known as the Skilled Migration Internship Program – Accounting (SMIPA).
A Professional Year Program developed by CPA Australia are as follows:
- the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia
- the Institute of Public Accountants.
Additionally, the program consists of training and an accounting internship placement. Thus, designed to improve the career prospects of international accounting graduates from Australian universities.
General Skilled Migration
The Skilled Migration Internship Program – Accounting (SMIPA) is approved by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). Hence, a successful completion you may be eligible for migration points towards permanent residence in Australia. Am I eligible?
- 44 weeks, as gazetted by DIBP
- then, professional training specific to the industry
- Australian work practices
- Business communications
- Finally, professional Australian accounting internship for 12 weeks
To qualify for the Professional Year Accounting Program (SMIPA), you must have:
- completed an undergraduate or postgraduate award in Australia in accounting
- then, hold or applied for a 485 visa (either stream)
- evidence of a minimum of IELTS 6.0 in all bands
- Finally, a valid skills assessment from an accounting professional association
- Qualify for migration points towards permanent residence
- Then, enhance your career prospects
- Add value to your CV
- Develop an understanding of the Australian workplace
- Gain a Professional Year certificate
- Become an official member of a relevant professional body
- Australian internship
- Develop practical work skills
- Improve interview techniques
- Finally, employment assistance on completion of the program